ESTATES REVIEWS Making sure you have the critical data from your estate
Your estate or property portfolio holds significant value and risk for your organisation. It is, however, in insidious decline and needs to be constantly tweaked and improved to prevent loss of value and increased risk. It needs to be managed nimbly in order to take advantage of new trends or legislation that allow you to maximise its potential benefit.
To be able to make sense of these large assets you need up to date critical performance data. This is the management information that allows you to strategically plan the future of your portfolio and critically find value adding and risk reducing ideas. Finding the gap between what you have now, where you would like to go and what needs to be done is the primary reason for a robust estates review.
SYSTEMS AND PROCESS PLANNING Capturing the way you do business now and could do in the future
Great businesses and organisations have systems that are “appropriate”. They are robust enough to support and direct behaviours and actions, but not to the point of creating bureaucracy that wastes time and effort. You know when you have this right, as your people will be positive about the business systems and they will not make basic errors and omissions.
Capturing the way you work, testing it and seeing if it can be improved should be a constant task that everyone does all the time. If people understand why they do what they do, they will contribute with ideas to how this can be improved. Mapping these processes and systems will help you keep the organization lean and fit for the future.
OPTIONS APPRAISALS Helping you to make the right strategic choices
An essential skill in the Senior Management Team is the ability to make the best strategic choices of where to invest or new directions to take. These choices rarely have sufficient information and are often shrouded with ambiguity and uncertainty.
Robust option appraisals are an essential tool for the senior team. They ensure that the starting point and end state(s) are clear, enabling the strategic thinkers to invest their valuable time identifying options and being creative. This can then be followed by systematic and rigorous analysis and evaluation of options. The result being that the chosen path is auditable, defendable and inspiring for others to follow.
DATA ANALYSIS Data extraction and modelling to improve business understanding and performance
Thinking about your business in terms of data and data analysis is hugely rewarding. The closer you can get to a single source of truth the less you are exposed to uncertainty in your decision making. It is great to be in a Senior Management Team when all your big questions about your business can be answered quickly and reliably – it gives you confidence.
The key part of this is understanding how data flows in your business. You are trying to capture data, enter it once and use it many times. Every time data is duplicated it runs the risk of degrading and having multiple people doing the same thing, wasting time and money and creating confusion.
ORGANISATION REVIEWS Ensuring you have the right people, doing the right things, the right way
In any organisation, the role of people is to get things done. In the best organisations, the senior team lead and deploy these people so that they play to their strengths. Playing the right people, in the right positions, doing the right things. They can do this knowing that their systems and managers then ensure that these things will get done the right way.
People thrive with clear goals, governance and reporting and well-structured businesses have a discipline of getting this right, without creating bureaucracy. Most organisations have some sort of chart or hierarchical representation of how they work, but it is often the case that, in practice, the organisation does not function in that way. An organisational review allows you to test how smartly you are working in the real world and identifies many opportunities to get the best from you and your people.
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT INFORMATION Having reliable information to lead and manage your business or organisation
The best businesses produce a suite of regular management information for use at critical governance meetings. The information is produced, without fail, ahead of the meetings giving all present plenty of time to digest and consider the content. Questions can be asked before the meeting and this ensures highly productive governance.
The Senior Management Team are then able to refine and develop it, enhancing the quality over time. The management information is produced by a few people with minimum effort and ideally automated. Having confidence in the regular reporting then allows the senior team to be more specific about information relating to specific trends, problems or opportunities that they are noticing.
BUSINESS PLAN The rigorous investment decision making process
Business plans and appraisals capture the essence of an investment decision. When done well they are the baseline to which you can always come back and check that the path you are on is still correct. They set out the goals, the metrics of performance and the key risks to be resolved.
Clients that use business plans well rarely lose control of an investment. This is because they check it regularly against progress and are able to see early signs of any issues or risks and act quickly. It allows you to work closely with the finance team to ensure that the delivery teams understand the business intent and do their very best to make sure the benefits are realized.
Our MISSION is to help you reach peak performance by providing management services that lead to lasting beneficial changes to:
GOT A QUESTION? WE HAVE THE ANSWERS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Time is the one resource on a project that, once lost, you can never get back. Here are the 5 actions which we take to ensure that your project finishes on time:
- We make sure that everybody on the project is made conscious of the importance of doing things on time - so that they can provide the right resources for timely completion.
- We start with the programmme; initially with little detail and a lot of assumptions about what may go wrong! We allow time for the things which we cannot foresee now. As we learn more about the project, we put the new detail in the project and replace our assumptions with accurate forecasts of the time required for each activity.
- We consult widely so that every party gets to see what they need to provide to others - and crucially what information they will need (and from whom) so that they can do their job on time.
- We produce very clear information on the programme - which is computer aided - and we encourage people to “shout” if they do not understand it.
- We resist change to scope of the works strongly (particularly during construction), so that delays are avoided.
If we stick to these 5 actions, in our experience, the project can be completed on time.
It is vital that a project is completed within the budget. Here are the 7 actions which take to make sure that this happens:
- In the first few days of a project we establish what we the Client wants and the programme within which it is required - these are the two main drivers of cost.
- As the design develops, we discuss the content of the project with the designers and test their confidence in the adequacy of their design.
- We also discuss the state of the design with the Quantity Surveyor and ascertain their confidence in the adequacy of their costs.
- Before it goes to tender, we take the designers and quantity surveyors through a lengthy checklist designed to establish whether there are any gaps or exclusions - these are usually items on which there are options about who does the design.
- Assuming that we find gaps or exclusions, we ask the team to establish a cost for each of them.
- Having completed this exercise, the only thing that remains to be done is to add a contingency sum for things that are “unforeseen and unforeseeable”.
- As the project progresses, we maintain strong discipline on cost control.
If we stick to these 7 actions, in our experience, the project can be completed within budget.
SGS College have worked with Provelio for around 15 years on many capital projects within Gloucestershire and Bristol.
Without question Provelio add value to every project by facilitating clear thinking during project conception, providing quality guidance during procurement and by providing diligent and focused project management throughout the design and construction phase.
I have no hesitation is recommending their services.