PROJECT, PROGRAMME AND PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
PROJECT MANAGEMENT Providing a single point responsibility for Clients to give them certainty of project delivery
Projects are the vehicles for getting things done in a business or organisation. They create the framework in which you make clear your objectives (what you want) and your constraints (by when, to what standard and how much for). You can then create the governance you need with a decision-making board, appoint a Project Manager and define the reporting and monitoring that you will need.
Once the essential objectives, constraints and governance are defined and in place you can rely on systems and processes to underpin effective delivery. With this in place, you have given your team the best possible chance of meeting your requirements. Encouraging them to develop good leadership, management and behavioural skills will also mean that things happen in a good working environment.
PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT Driving the delivery of multiple projects to achieve business outcomes and change to the organisation
For large organisations and businesses the dilemma they often face is having too many projects. The Senior Team not only have to be able to control all the multiple investments but they also have to be able to choose which ones to progress or stop. Programme management is the way in which you can lead all your projects in a controlled and coordinated manner.
Being able to stand back and consider the strategic position across all your projects allows you to consider issues like sharing resources, effective procurement and regularised reporting and systems. Critically, you will be able to track the benefits and outcomes that the projects will contribute towards and ensure that the investment decisions are realized.
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT Enterprise-level control of investment, resource and asset decision-making across all your programmes and projects
Many organsiations and businesses have multiple programmes delivering large numbers of projects. The impact of this level of investment is an enterprise-level risk. The entire business is affected and impacted by the investments and the benefits of getting it right are far-reaching. You need to think about all parts of your business including finance, technology, marketing, goods and services, premises and how it affects your people and processes.
It is necessary to understand and share how all the programmes and projects will “contribute” to your strategic goals as a business or organisation. The enterprise thinking allows you to create the environment for your teams that gives them the best possible chance for success. If you are clear with the direction and end goals the teams can concentrate on speed of travel and working smartly.
EMPLOYERS AGENT Representing and administering your design-build contracts
Clients that know what they want tend to buy well. This is often the case for clients who have internal teams that can effectively manage repeatable products. The certainty of what they are trying to achieve allows them to enter into design build contracts that require little or no interference or change once the order to proceed is given.
The most effective use of the client team is to begin work on the next contract, but they typically need some assurance to ensure that the design build contracts are proceeding as planned. The role of employer’s Agent gives you the comfort that the contractual duties are being discharged and any risks or issues can be bought to you by exception. Allowing you to move to the next value adding investment for your business.
TENANT SURVEYOR Representing your interests when working with developer and long-term leases.
If you are a business that is investing in a long-term lease you may well benefit from having a Tenant Surveyor. If your primary business purpose is not in property then having someone to represent your interests from a property background will ensure you get the best outcome from your investment.
Tenancy agreements can range from site clearance, full build and fit-out right through to variations during the lease agreement and final dilapidations. Identifying all the possible risks and issues that can arise now and in the future, allow you to negotiate robustly and ensure you understand your obligations and liabilities. It is useful for many clients to then have representation at progress meetings and help ensure the final project is integrated into the wider business.
MONITORING SURVEYOR Ensuring that the funds that you are investing will generate the return you require in accordance with your funding agreements
All lenders of funding require some level of fund monitoring to give them the assurance that the scheme is on track and that the risks are being actively managed and minimized. The primary aim is to analyse the project delivery through all the major gateways and then provide additional attendance during the high spend phases to ensure that the funds are not at risk.
The essential skills required include the critical analysis of time, cost and contractual management. The end product must be properly defined to minimise the risk of uncontrolled changes and variations that could disrupt or delay the project. Well produced reports giving clarity and confidence are essential.
Our MISSION is to help you reach peak performance by providing management services that lead to lasting beneficial changes to:
GOT A QUESTION? WE HAVE THE ANSWERS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Time is the one resource on a project that, once lost, you can never get back. Here are the 5 actions which we take to ensure that your project finishes on time:
- We make sure that everybody on the project is made conscious of the importance of doing things on time - so that they can provide the right resources for timely completion.
- We start with the programmme; initially with little detail and a lot of assumptions about what may go wrong! We allow time for the things which we cannot foresee now. As we learn more about the project, we put the new detail in the project and replace our assumptions with accurate forecasts of the time required for each activity.
- We consult widely so that every party gets to see what they need to provide to others - and crucially what information they will need (and from whom) so that they can do their job on time.
- We produce very clear information on the programme - which is computer aided - and we encourage people to “shout” if they do not understand it.
- We resist change to scope of the works strongly (particularly during construction), so that delays are avoided.
If we stick to these 5 actions, in our experience, the project can be completed on time.
It is vital that a project is completed within the budget. Here are the 7 actions which take to make sure that this happens:
- In the first few days of a project we establish what we the Client wants and the programme within which it is required - these are the two main drivers of cost.
- As the design develops, we discuss the content of the project with the designers and test their confidence in the adequacy of their design.
- We also discuss the state of the design with the Quantity Surveyor and ascertain their confidence in the adequacy of their costs.
- Before it goes to tender, we take the designers and quantity surveyors through a lengthy checklist designed to establish whether there are any gaps or exclusions - these are usually items on which there are options about who does the design.
- Assuming that we find gaps or exclusions, we ask the team to establish a cost for each of them.
- Having completed this exercise, the only thing that remains to be done is to add a contingency sum for things that are “unforeseen and unforeseeable”.
- As the project progresses, we maintain strong discipline on cost control.
If we stick to these 7 actions, in our experience, the project can be completed within budget.
SGS College have worked with Provelio for around 15 years on many capital projects within Gloucestershire and Bristol.
Without question Provelio add value to every project by facilitating clear thinking during project conception, providing quality guidance during procurement and by providing diligent and focused project management throughout the design and construction phase.
I have no hesitation is recommending their services.